Welcome

If you've just happened on this blog, please note that it's presently being put together. I'm busy researching and writing at the moment and will add scenes as I complete them. This blog is not being advertised at present because I want to finish at least three plays before I do so. You can understand that I need to work on setting up the blog first before it's released into the public domain. 'THE TEMPEST' and 'ROMEO AND JULIET' are now finished. I'm writing the next play.
Thanks for your patience.

The Tempest; Act 111


Scene 1 (In front of Prospero’s living quarters)


Enter Ferdinand, carrying a log.

Ferdinand. There are many sports more difficult than what I have to do here. If you love something it’s worth the pain. It’s worth doing this though, because of what I get at the end of it. I’d better get these logs collected before he comes out and screams at me. How could such a harsh man have such a gentle and lovely daughter? She cries when she sees me working so hard and encourages me all she can. It’s her encouragement that keeps me going. It’s her kind words that get me through the day.

Enter Miranda with Prospero who’s hidden behind her. Neither her or Ferdinand know he's there.

Miranda. Please don’t work so hard. If I were lightning, I’d burn up those logs you have to pile so high. Put that one down and rest a little while, please. My father's studying, so you’re safe for the next three hours or so.

Ferdinand. My dear, I’ve got to get a move on. I've got so much to do, it’ll be nightfall before I’m finished.

Miranda. Tell you what. If you sit down I’ll help pile up the logs for a while.

Ferdinand. No way! I’d rather injure myself or break my back before I let you carry logs while I sit idly by.

Miranda. It’s no problem, honestly. It’ll be much easier for me to do because I actually want to and you don’t.

Prospero. (Aside) She’s in love.

Miranda. (To Ferdinand) You look so tired.

Ferdinand. Whatever time of day it is, and even when I’m supposed to be tired, I'll fine as long as you’re near. Tell me, what is your name?

Miranda. Miranda. I promised my father I wouldn’t tell you what my name is.

Ferdinand. You’re exactly what your name means. You’re admired. You deserve all the admiration in the world. I’ve spoken to lots of fine young women. I mean, I’ve even liked some of them who had really good qualities. But none of them have come close to you. You’re perfect. The most perfectly formed woman I’ve ever seen.

Miranda. I don’t know any other women. I can’t remember anyone I’ve known in my past. The only female face I see is my own, in the mirror. I haven’t seen men either, except you and my father. I can’t really say what true handsomeness is, but I can’t imagine liking anyone else but you. I can’t imagine that I would like the look of anyone else apart from you. I think I’m saying far too much now. My father says I should not talk so much about these things.

Ferdinand. I’m a Prince, Miranda. Soon to be a king. Yet, the moment I saw you, I knew I wanted to serve you. I’m carrying these logs and doing all this because of how I feel about you.

Miranda. Are you saying you love me?

Ferdinand. I would give up everything I have and everything I will ever have to be with you. I swear this. I love, prize and honour you.

Miranda. Look at me. I’m so silly. I’m only crying because I’m happy.

Prospero. (Aside) There we have it.

Ferdinand. So why are you still crying?

Miranda. Because I feel so unworthy. I dare not offer the very thing I want to give. I feel worthless at all this. I’ll marry you if you would have me as your wife. Otherwise, I’m happy to be your servant forever.

Ferdinand. Dear Miranda. We’re both the same. I’m just like you.

Miranda. Then you’ll marry me?

Ferdinand. With all my heart. I shall always serve you. Here’s my hand.

Miranda. And mine. With my heart in it. I’ve got to go now. I’ll see you in half an hour.

Ferdinand. I can’t wait.

                              Exit Ferdinand and Miranda in different directions.

Prospero. I can’t be more pleased about this. I couldn’t plan it better than it’s turned out. I’ve got to study some more for my big plan at dinner time.
                                                                                                Exit.


Scene 11 (Another part of the Island)

Enter Caliban, Stephano and Trinculo

Stephano. You know, when that barrel of wine is finished, and only then will we drink any water. Not a drop before that. So, drink up servant monster. Drink to me!

Trinculo. 'Servant monster?' This island is driving you mad. We know that there are at least two more people on this island. If they’re as stupid as us, this place is in ruins.

Stephano. Servant monster, you have to drink when I tell you, man. Your eyes are almost set in your head.

Trinculo. Where else should they be set? He would be an extra special monster if his eyes were set in his tail, don’t you think.

Stephano. My man-monster drowned his tongue in too much wine. As for me, the sea couldn’t drown me. I swam miles on and off to get here. You’ll be my lieutenant, monster.

Trinculo. Him? He’s so drunk he can’t do anything but lie like a dog and say nothing.

Stephano. Mooncalf, speak for once, if you’re a good mooncalf.

Caliban. Whatever you please. Let me lick your shoe. I’m not going to serve him. He’s not brave and strong like you.

Trinculo. You’re a liar, you ignorant monster. I’m brave enough to fight a policeman right now. You fool. What do you know? Has there ever been a man who’s drunk as much wine as I have today? You’re just a half monster, half fish.

Caliban. Will you let him mock me like that, my lord?

Trinculo. ‘Lord.’ You’re calling me, lord. You must be more stupid than I thought.

Caliban. Please, bite him to death for me.

Stephano. Trinculo, stop it now. I won’t let you insult my monster, or I’ll hang you.

Caliban. Thank you, my lord. Will you let me tell you about the island stuff again?

Stephano. You bet. Kneel down and tell us again. I’ll stand up and so will Trinculo.

Enter invisible Ariel.

Caliban. As I told you before, I’m a slave to a tyrant. He’s a wizard and he worked his magic to steal this island from me.

Ariel. You’re a liar.

Caliban. (Thinking that Trinculo spoke) You’re the liar, you idiot. I’ll have my master destroy you. I’m not lying here.

Stephano. (Thinking Trinculo has said something nasty to Caliban) Trinculo. I swear, if you interrupt him one more time I’ll slap your teeth out of your head.

Trinculo. Why? I didn’t say anything.

Stephano. Shut up then. No more out of you. Go on Caliban.

Caliban. He used magic to get the island. I know you’re strong enough to get this island back from my old master, even if your friend here isn’t.

Stephano. Certainly.

Caliban. You’ll be lord of the island and I’ll be your servant.

Stephano. But how should we do the whole overthrow thing? Can you take me to his place?

Caliban. Oh yeah. I’ll take you there when he’s asleep so you could drive a nail into his head.

Ariel. You lie. You can’t do that!

Caliban (Again mistaking Ariel's voice for Trinculo's) You’re such an idiot, you clown. Master, take away his wine. From now on he'll have to drink brine because I’ll never show him where the fresh water on this island is.

Stephano. I’m warning you, Trinculo. One more word out of you, and I’ll beat you to a pulp.

Trinculo. What did I do? I didn’t say anything. I’ll go and stand over there.

Stephano. Didn’t you say he lied?

Ariel. You lie!

Stephano. (Thinking that it was Trinculo who spoke). Do I now? Take that! (hits Trinculo).

Trinculo. You’re crazy and your hearing is gone. I said nothing, you fool. To hell with you, your wine, and your monster too.

Caliban. Ha, Ha, ha.

Stephano. Go on with your story, Caliban. (To Trinculo) Go stand further off.

Caliban. Beat him some more. Here, let me beat him too.

Stephano. Go on, stand further away. Caliban, go on.

Caliban. Like I said, he always sleeps in the afternoon. You could take his books and brain him then. You could beat in his skull with a log or punch him in the belly. Or you could cut his throat with a knife. Remember you have to take his books first because he’s got no powers without them. He can’t command spirits without his books. They all hate him as much as I do, anyway. Burn his books but save everything else. He’s got some fine furnishings and stuff. The most important thing is his beautiful daughter. He himself said there is no other woman as beautiful as her. I’ve never seen another woman apart from her and my old mother, but they’re the opposite of each other.

Stephano. Is she really all that?

Caliban. Yes. And she could become your wife and bear you lots of kids.

Stephano. Monster, I will kill him. His daughter and I will be king and queen, and Trinculo and you will serve us. Do you like that plan, Trinculo?

Trinculo. Sure.

Stephano. Give me your hand. I’m sorry I hit you. But you have to stop talking so much nonsense.

Caliban. He’ll be asleep within the next half hour. Will you kill him then?

Stephano. Yeah.

Ariel. I’m telling Prospero about this.

Caliban. I’m so happy. I have to celebrate this. Will you teach me the song you sang before?

Stephano. Sure, monster. I’ll do anything you ask, within reason. (Sings)

Flaunt then and jeer them
Jeer then and flaunt them
Thought is free.

Caliban. That’s not the tune.

Ariel plays the tune on her drum and flute.

Stephano. What’s that?

Trinculo. That’s the exact tune of that song we sang in our play.

Stephano. Show yourself if you’re a man. If you’re a devil, what do you want?

Trinculo. Forgive me my sins!

Stephano. Only the dead have no debts to pay. Mercy on us!

Caliban. Are you afraid?

Stephano. Why, No, monster. Of course not!

Caliban. Don’t be. This island is full of harmless noises. Sometimes they play beautiful music in my ears and give me fantastic dreams. The dreams so real, I cry when I wake up to go back to sleep again.

Stephano. Ooh, that sounds good. I’ll get my music for free as well here.
Caliban. When Prospero is dead, you mean.

Stephano. Yes, yes. Hold your horses. It’ll happen.

Trinculo. The sound is going away. Let’s follow it before we do what we have to do.

Stephano. Lead the way, monster.

Trinculo. Are you coming, monster? I’ll follow Stephano.

                                                                                             Exit


Scene 111 (Another part of the island)

Enter Alonso, Sebastian, Antonio, Gonzalo, Adrian, Francisco, etc.


Gonzalo. I really can’t go any further, Sir. My old bones ache from all this walking. Please, allow me to just rest a bit.


Alonso. I don’t blame you. Sit down and rest. I’m tired as well. I have to decide in my heart that we’re looking for my son in vain. I’m sure now that he’s drowned. I have to be strong enough to accept it.


Antonio. (Aside to Sebastian) I’m glad he’s come to his senses now. Let’s not forget what we were going to do to him.


Sebastian. (Aside to Antonio) We’ll take the next opportunity as soon as we get it.


Antonio (Aside to Sebastian) Tonight is the perfect time to do it because they’re so tired. They won’t be as vigilant as when they were nice and fresh.


Sebastian. You’re right.


Slow, sad music can be heard and Prospero enters invisible to the others. He can see them, but they are unaware of his presence. Spirits arrive with a tempting feast. They dance around seductively and invite the king and his party to eat before vanishing suddenly.


Alonso. Listen to this my friends. What a great harmony they have.


Gonzalo. Yes. It's perfect.


Alonso. Are they angels?


Sebastian. A puppet show, more like. Now I will believe there are unicorns and the phoenix.


Antonio. Me too. Travellers always told us about these weird things that exist, but people at home always doubted them.


Gonzalo. I wonder if I told the people back home about these Islanders – assuming these are the people who live here – if they would believe me. They look like monsters but they’re so kind and gentle, even more gentle than us humans.


Prospero. (Aside) You’re right about that. Some of you right here are worse than devils.


Alonso. I can’t help being in awe of them.


Prospero. (Aside) Save your praise for the end.


Francisco. They disappeared strangely, didn’t they.


Sebastian. I don’t mind that. As long as they left their food behind. Shall we eat the stuff they left?


Alonso. None for me, thank you.


Gonzalo. I don’t think there’s anything to be afraid of. I mean, when we were little, we would’ve never thought creatures like these existed. We didn’t think we would ever see people with skin hanging from their necks like bulls, or men with heads where their chests should be. We never thought any of these things were possible, even though travellers before us talked about strange things.


Alonso. I suppose so. Okay, I’ll eat. Sebastian, my brother, come eat with us too.


Thunder and lightning is heard. Enter Ariel. He claps his wings on the table and all the food vanishes.


Ariel. You’re three sinful men. You’re unfit to live, but the sea has belched you up on this wretched, uninhabited island. I’ve now made you angry, and men usually show their true, raw selves when they’re angry.
(The men draw their swords)
You fools! Your swords are nothing to us. My companions and I are spirits of fate. You may as well stab the winds or kill the waves. You can’t hurt one plume of my wing. My companions and I wouldn’t be harmed even if you could reach us. My business with you is about Prospero. You three supplanted him and the sea has taken his revenge. You left him and his little child for dead. He’s a good man, so even the waves, the seas and the creatures have taken offence to what you’ve done. A curse is on you, and every bad thing will befall you for all your days. Nothing but repentance will lift this curse from you.


(Ariel vanishes in thunder. The other spirits enter and mockingly carry out the table on which the feast was laid).


Prospero (To Ariel) You’ve done well in making the feast disappear, Ariel. You’ve kept every word, leaving nothing out. You’ve acted well and the other spirits have performed remarkably. The stage is set and my enemies are now fully in my power. Ferdinand, who they think is dead, is completely in love with my daughter.


                                         Exit Prospero without being seen by the others.


Gonzalo. My lord! Why do you look so strange?


Alonso. It’s terrible. The billows of smoke spoke to me. The winds sang it and the thunder provided the music to it. They all told me of Prospero and made me realise what an awful thing I’ve done. I’m paying for it with the loss of my son. I deserve to be where he is right now.


                                                                                                 Exit


Sebastian. I’ll fight these spirits one by one to the very end.


Antonio. Me too!


                                                                      Exit Sebastian and Antonio.


Gonzalo. Their guilt has made them desperate. It’s like a poison working over time. Please, those of you who're young and fast, follow them and stop them before they do anything insane.


Adrian. Follow, us please.


                                                                                            Exit.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Google Pagerank mérés, keresooptimalizálás

About This Blog

A translation of Shakespeare's plays designed for noughties' teenagers and youngsters.
The material on this blog is specifically designed for teenagers and younger kids. The aim is to help them read and translate Shakespeare scenes into their own, modern take on the English language. This is a perfect tool to help them write their Shakespeare synopsis on a particular play or character quickly and easily.
This modern ‘translation’ will also help with any type of school work pertaining to the plays of the mighty Shakespeare, and his dramatic and comedic scenes we all love.

  © Blogger template Snowy Winter by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP